Thursday, September 11, 2014

Saying Goodbye Was Harder Than I Thought....

nug·get
noun

small lump of gold or other precious metal found ready-formed in the earth
a small chunk or lump of another substance
a valuable idea or fact




My first born nugget is on the back row, far right.

The group pictured consists of his nuggets....


This was their last large group gathering before they started heading out one by one to their colleges.  A few went to Texas, one went to Tennessee, another to Mississippi, one chose Missouri, a couple went to Southern Arkansas and the rest headed up north to Fayetteville.

These friendship are deep.  No exaggeration.  People tell me all the time how unique this crew is and that the group dynamics will not be easy to replicate.  Some friendships go as far back as ten years while others just a few. Some will be rooming together and some may not see others for awhile. 

Last month a few moms and I hosted a "good luck" party to send them off properly.  We got in their faces and took pictures, we fed them, we hugged them and then we cried.

Not only were we going to miss our own kids, but also the group they traveled with.  When you have a group of kids at your home most weekends, summertime and other random days, your house becomes much quieter when the leave for college.

I have to admit, as I moved P into his dorm, I was too busy to be sad.  It was not until a few days later I had a big ugly sobbing cry.  Then I cried when I spotted his favorite Oreo cookies at Kroger.  I cried when I went to bed.  I cried when I got up.

Today I am feeling much better.   I still miss him, but I'm not so sad.  I am happy and excited for my boy.  He is going to be fine.

I'm going to be fine too.

Leslyn's Lovely Life

2 comments:

  1. Stopping by from the Mama Mondays link up. This is so sweet! My little guy is still so small and college seems so far off, but I'm sure I will blink and it will be here before I know it. The good luck party is such a nice way to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! Thought I would blog from the perspective of having two freshman -- one in college and one in high school. Appreciate you reading it!

      Delete