Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Life that Says Welcome

I just began a new online bible study one week ago that is about Hospitality.  It is based on the book, "A Life that Says Welcome" by Karen Ehman.  I am definitely one that gets started on things with much enthusiasm only to get bored, or busy or ________ (fill in the blank) and not finish what I've started.  Can any of you relate?

My assignment this week was to read Chapters 1-3 and answer the questions of which there wasn't too many.  I am so proud to say, it is Sunday and I finished the first assignment.  Yeah me!  And guess what? I did not get bored or too busy, because this book is speaking volumes to me!

I am guilty of getting sucked into watching loads of episodes on HGTV and Food Network.  I long to be able to whip up a meal in 30 minutes or have someone stop by to rearrange my furniture "while I was out", but in my corner of the world those things don't happen.  For one, I have to cook with a recipe.  I'm not the creative kind that can throw a few things in a pot from her pantry and call it a meal.  Nor, am I gifted with decorating abilities.  Still, I love love to watch this kind of television as well as read as much as I can on the subject.

Where I am going with this, is I REALLY REALLY want to be gifted in the area of hospitality.  I want to invite friends over after church for lunch or throw together a quick BBQ on a Saturday afternoon.  Don't get me wrong -- I can do it.  But for me, it involves a lot of planning, a lot of stress and a lot of worry.  Why?  I just feel like everything has to be perfect and since it seems so much work to get it perfect (which in my mind, it never is) I just don't do it.  BUT, I really want to.....

I found out about this study from the Proverbs 31 devotional I receive daily by email and thought I would give it a try.  I downloaded the book using the Kindle app on my phone and I'm so glad I did.  I am learning that Hospitality is so much more than just having someone over to eat.  It starts at home with your family and it does not have to be so complicated.  I hope you will check it out!  See the box to the right of this post!

My assignment today was to share a recipe that I make for company.  While this is not always used for that, it has been taken to a sick friend or made for family dinner.  It's super easy and was given to me by my sister-in-law.  It's great for those days when you need something hearty and quick.  The only planning involved is getting the ingredients and crock pot out!

Super Easy Crock-Pot Roast

  • any type of roast
  • 3-4 potatoes, peeled and quartered
  • 1 package mini peeled sliced carrots
  • 1 onions, cut in half and quartered
  • 2 cans Campbell's Beefy Mushroom Soup
Layer in crock pot --roast, potatoes, onions, carrots and cover with soup.  NO WATER NEEDED.  Cook on low 8-10 hours.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Rita, Hi! I love your blog and the new update. I'm going to try this recipe using the Beefy Mushroom soup. We just got back from the beach and there was a recent copy of 'Cooking Light' magazine in the living area. I loved all the recipes, including one for a shrimp and rice dish and Texas Sheet Cake! Hope you and your family have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather TomlinsonMarch 26, 2012 at 6:01 AM

    Loved this post and I love that roast! Remember when you, Connie, and I did that meal swap? That was so fun! I am cooking your roast this week!! Thanks and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh, i might make that today!! Thanks Rita!
    Roseann

    ReplyDelete